When you are waiting for the school bus, you should wait at the bus stop and stand well back from the curb.
When you get off the bus:
- Look to the rear of the bus before you step off the bottom step. Our friends at the Pupil Transportation Safety Institute tell us that more and more motorists are passing stopped school buses on the right shoulder - where the door is.
- Take (five giant steps) straight out the bus door, and out of the danger zone.
- Make sure you have eye contact with the driver, and wait for the driver to signal you before you cross in front of the bus.
- Never go back for anything you have left on the bus.
- Never bend down near or under the bus.